Welcome to the WCPT Network for HPLW
“Health promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve their health.” WHO - Health Promotion Glossary, 1998
The WCPT Network for Health Promotion in Life & Work helps you to connect and talk with colleagues all over the world about health promotion in physical therapy. You can discuss anything that helps patients, clients or ourselves be healthier and happier.
Our Network, which was started in 2011 at WCPT Congress with only 4 members, has now grown to nearly 70 members from 24 Countries. This network helps us to get to know each other so that we can learn what each other does, advise on projects and collaborate on research. We wish to discuss your country's approach to wellbeing, health promotion, wellness, disability prevention and health behaviour change across the lifespan. We focus on research, evidence based practice, outcome measures and cost benefit analysis.
We encourage members to:
- come forward with their health promotion strategies
share views and ideas which can be implemented for sustainable development of various problems such as:
- non-communicable diseases (e.g. cardiovascular diseases, obesity, diabetes type 2, certain types of cancer, depression, muscle-skeletal diseases)
- physical inactivity
- sedentary behaviour
- sleep problems
- stress management
- workplace hazards and ergonomics, etc
The network objectives are to:
- facilitate physical therapists to promote health and well-being in life and work, healthy lifestyle and active living for their clients/patients;
- identify and network with physical therapists who are also experts in the fields of health promotion in life and work, wellness, disability prevention and behavioural change;
- exchange evidence-based knowledge, best practice, ideas, opinions and promotion materials related to health promotion in life and work, wellness, disability prevention and behavioural change;
- facilitate scientific work among physical therapists in the fields of health promotion in life and work, wellness, disability prevention and behavioural change, consequently creating changes in physical therapy educational systems and practice, so that it becomes more oriented towards these issues; and
- promote health and well-being in life and work, facilitate healthy lifestyle and active living among physical therapists.
- Membership of the WCPT Network for HPLW is open to physical therapists belonging to a WCPT member organisation working in a fields of health promotion, wellness, disability prevention and/or behavioural change.
- Membership is free.
- You can apply for membership by sending an email with your name, country, email address, WCPT member organisation you belong to, short professional background and field(s) of expertise to [email protected]
- Through your membership you will be linked with colleagues who share the same or similar background and interests in your own country and abroad.
- Members of the network will receive periodic email updates (including the network newsletter) about health promotion activities and are encouraged to post items on the WCPT network for HPLW group on LinkedIn. They also have the opportunity to meet face-to-face every two years at WCPT's international congress.
To join the LinkedIn group:
- Register on LinkedIn, if you are not already registered
- Submit a request to join the HPLW group at https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4954467/