Since 1951 the World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) has been the global body for the profession. Today it represents more than 450,000 physical therapists through its 120 member organisations, and is the international voice for physical therapy.
On behalf of its members, WCPT undertakes a range of projects and supports international campaigns to promote the physical therapy profession and its contribution to global health. It encourages high standards of physical therapy research, education and practice.
As a WCPT member organisation, your association is recognised as the sole authoritative body for physical therapy in your country, with access to a wide range of benefits..
- Attendance and voting at the WCPT General Meeting, held every four years, ensuring WCPT’s work benefits the profession in your country and worldwide.
- Support for your organisation in establishing standards, developing education programmes and regulating the physical therapy profession in your country.
- Opportunities to contribute to and have your say on WCPT projects.
Access to documents and letters of support to develop the profession in your country.
- World Physical Therapy Day - be part of the global profession and take part in this WCPT-sponsored day on 8th September to celebrate physical therapy and its contribution to global health. Have access to ready-to-print promotional materials and articles along with information and ideas on planning activities and events, plus the opportunity to have your events profiled on the WCPT website.
- Congress - WCPT holds the profession’s largest international congress showcasing advances in physical therapy research, practice and education. Enjoy the members’ discount to attend.
- WCPT e-update – monthly update of international news and information resources for WCPT member organisations and individual physical therapists.
- You have access to WCPT guidelines and policies on professional issues, education and regulation helping the profession drive up professional standards around the world.
- You have access to WCPT’s system for sharing expertise internationally.
- Your association has a profile page of your member organisation and a country profile on the WCPT website.
- You receive up-to-date information on relevant international health initiatives.
- You have contact with physical therapists around the world through our professional networks, subgroups and discussion forums helping to build a global community
- WCPT works with international health bodies, including the World Health Organization and the World Health Professions Alliance, ensuring the physical therapy profession is recognised and consulted on global health initiatives and campaigns, including the promotion of positive working environments, making non-communicable diseases a global priority, and ending the trade in counterfeit medical products.
- WCPT is an NGO in official relations with the World Health Organization.
- WCPT subgroups are international physical therapy organisations each representing a specific area of interest, providing an excellent resource for contacts and information on those areas of practice.
The profession’s most prestigious international honours recognise physical therapists who have made outstanding international contributions to the profession. Presented every four years during the international congress, member organisations have an opportunity to nominate those they feel deserve exceptional recognition.