In order to become a member of WCPT, a national physical therapy association must meet certain criteria. These criteria, as defined in WCPT's Constitution, are:
- the organisation must be a national professional membership organisation for physical therapists;
- the majority of members of the organisation must be qualified physical therapists;
- the majority of the individuals holding positions on the governing body of the organisation must be qualified physical therapists;
- membership of the organisation must be open to all people who are eligible to practise physical therapy in the Country where the organisation is based;
- the organisation must require its members to comply with a code of ethics, or equivalent document, that is consistent with the WCPT ethical principles;
- the organisation must agree to be bound by the WCPT Constitution; and
- the organisation must demonstrate it has capacity and commitment to comply with all the duties of member organisations.
Membership of WCPT is limited to one national professional membership organisation for physical therapists per country.