In the United Kingdom members of governing bodies go by a variety of names – ‘Trustees’, ‘Management or Executive Committee Members’ or ‘Directors’. The name depends on the legal status, governing document and custom and practice of the entity.
- The World Confederation for Physical Therapy has a ‘Board of Trustees’ also known as the ‘Executive Board’.
- The subsidiary company is called WCPT Trading and has a ‘Board of Directors’.
However, the WCPT group of entities uses the term Board Member rather than director, trustee or combinations of both.
The WCPT Governance Framework assists the WCPT Executive Board to meet relevant best practice governance arrangements for not for profit enterprises and to comply with relevant statutory requirements, particularly the Charities Act 2011.
Governance is a term used to describe the trustees’ role in:
- the long term direction of the charity, including its objectives or purposes
- implementing policies and activities to achieve objectives
- complying with legal requirements
- accountability to those with an interest or 'stake' in the charity.
This Governance Framework documents the required practices and procedures related to the Board and Board Committees and comprises two documents:
- Board Charter which identifies the responsibilities, accountabilities and relationships between WCPT’s governance bodies.
- Board Operating Guidelines which guide the scheduling, agenda and timing of meetings and requirements for the presentation, lodgment, and approval process for providing information for Board and Committee consideration.
The Chair will be responsible for ensuring overall maintenance and compliance with the Governance Framework, which will be reviewed every two years by the Board.
The WCPT Constitution states that the Regional Board Member of the Executive Board elected by the Member Organisations within the Region has the right to attend and speak at meetings of the Regional Executive Committee but is generally not a member of the Regional Executive Committee.
A guide to assist regions in electing members of the WCPT Board has been developed. This document will be of assistance to both candidates and Member Organisations during elections.