In the United Kingdom members of governing bodies go by a variety of names – ‘Trustees’, ‘Management or Executive Committee Members’ or ‘Directors’. The name depends on the legal status, governing document and custom and practice of the entity.
- The World Confederation for Physical Therapy has a ‘Board of Trustees’ also known as the ‘Executive Board’.
- The subsidiary company is called WCPT Trading and has a ‘Board of Directors’.
However, the WCPT group of entities uses the term Board Member rather than director, trustee or combinations of both.
The WCPT Governance Framework assists the WCPT Executive Board to meet relevant best practice governance arrangements for not for profit enterprises and to comply with relevant statutory requirements, particularly the Charities Act 2011.
Governance is a term used to describe the trustees’ role in:
- the long term direction of the charity, including its objectives or purposes
- implementing policies and activities to achieve objectives
- complying with legal requirements
- accountability to those with an interest or 'stake' in the charity.
This Governance Framework documents the required practices and procedures related to the Board and Board Committees and comprises two documents:
- Board Charter which identifies the responsibilities, accountabilities and relationships between WCPT’s governance bodies.
- Board Operating Guidelines which guide the scheduling, agenda and timing of meetings and requirements for the presentation, lodgment, and approval process for providing information for Board and Committee consideration.
The Chair will be responsible for ensuring overall maintenance and compliance with the Governance Framework, which will be reviewed every two years by the Board.
The WCPT Articles of Association state that the WCPT Executive Board member from the Region shall be a member of the regional Executive Committee with full rights but shall not be an officer of the Region.
In addition, the Articles state that the WCPT Board members from the Region act in the best interests of WCPT at WCPT Board meetings and may not be mandated by the Region.
No WCPT Board members receive a stipend for their participation as Board members. All reasonable expenses including airfare and accommodation to attend meetings are reimbursed.
A guide to assist regions in electing members of the WCPT Board has been developed. This document will be of assistance to both candidates and Member Organisations during elections.