The Fiji Physiotherapy Association has established its first subgroup – Sports Physiotherapy Fiji. Its inaugural meeting was held on 20 June at the Fiji Olympic House Boardroom in Suva.
The subgroup was formed because sports physiotherapy is one of the fastest growing areas of physiotherapy in Fiji. The new group therefore aims to:
- ensure quality assurance
- ensure qualified physiotherapists
- educate physiotherapists and the public
- ensure recognition worldwide
- access available resources
- ensure development of physiotherapists
- ensure research in sports data
- promote research
- set standards
The meeting also discussed some specific strategies for the future such as: running workshops, tapping into the resources of affiliated local and overseas bodies, making direct contact with international bodies and linking with local teaching institutes.