In 1991, a change in structure of the World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) resulted in the establishment of five WCPT regions, with autonomous regional committees. The intention was to encourage opportunities for more frequent contact among members with similar cultural, economic and social outlooks. The Asia Western Pacific Region comprises 28 member organisations that spread from the Middle East through Asia to the Pacific.
Although there is diversity in terms of ethics, language, geography and development, promotion of physical therapy is common to all. Key aims of the region are to:
- establish closer cooperation among member organisations of the region
- represent the profession of physical therapy in the region in consultation with or as delegated by the Executive Committee
- cooperate with the various international organisations in the region in promoting WCPT objectives
- initiate new and promote established professional activities within the region which further the aims of WCPT
- formulate resolutions regarding matters of regional or geographical concern for proposal to the Executive Committee and WCPT General Meeting
The region holds a general meeting of member representatives every two years in conjunction with the WCPT Congress, and then a general meeting in association with a regional congress hosted by a member organisation.
Since 1991, regional congresses have been hosted by Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore, South Korea, India and Taiwan. In 2019, the regional general meeting will be held in Switzerland. The AWP Region has a secretariat, currently mainly supported by the Taiwan Physical Therapy Association. One member of the WCPT Executive Board is elected by the member organisations in the region for a four-year term.
|AWP Executive Committee|
|Chairperson||Shu-Fang Jeng (Taiwan)|
|Vice Chairperson||Su Fen Yew (Malaysia)|
|Membership Member||Gillian Webb (Australia)|
|Finance Member||Kaori Nishiyama (Japan)|
|Conference and General Meeting Member||Dinesh Verma (Singapore)|
|Communications Co-opt Member||Royson Mercado (Philippines)|