How to take part
The campaign message of World Physical Therapy Day 2018 is “Physical therapy and mental health”, demonstrating the role that physical therapy and physical activity have in mental health.
WCPT encourages member organisations and physical therapists around the world to use WCPT’s toolkit to convey these messages to the public and policy makers.
- The campaign is focused around the following key messages.
- Exercise as an evidence-based treatment for depression.
- The role of physical therapists working with patients who may have mental health issues.
- The benefits of physical activity in protecting against the emergence of depression.
- How better outcomes are experienced when exercise is delivered by a qualified healthcare professional, such as a physical therapist.
- How people with mental health issues are more at risk of having poor physical health.
These messages are important not just to encourage health and activity in populations. They can help demonstrate how physical therapists keep people moving through interventions which maximise strength and mobility. Through advice and exercise programmes, physical therapists support people of all ages to achieve activity goals.
If you are an individual physical therapist or planning an activity with your colleagues at your workplace, remember to contact the WCPT member organisation in your country so that you link up with any activities that they may be planning.
A full list of WCPT member organisations may be viewed at: www.wcpt.org/members.
The materials produced promote the idea of a global physical therapy community. The day will be widely publicised on social media, using the #WorldPTDay hashtag.
WCPT would like to thank Brendon Stubbs, Michel Probst and Liv Helvik Skjaerven for their assistance in the production of the toolkit materials.
WCPT has produced a toolkit of materials to support physical therapists and their organisations in their World Physical Therapy Day activities. It includes:
- A leaflet: to distribute directly to patients and the public.
- A poster: to display in public places.
- Two infographics: to display and distribute to patients and the public.
- A postcard: to distribute directly to the public.
- Translations: the posters, flyer and postcard are also available in Spanish and French. They will also shortly be available in German.
- Social media graphics: a selection of graphics will be produced for you to use on Twitter and Facebook to promote the day and this year’s message.
- Twibbons: to add to your Facebook and Twitter profiles.
- Campaign resources: additional information and resources for physical therapists about this year’s campaign.
- A t-shirt design and logo: to download and get printed locally.
- Stickers: to download and print on standard printer labels.
- Banner artwork: to download and be supplied to local manufacturers.