How to take part
The campaign for World Physical Therapy Day 2019 is focussed around the theme of chronic pain and the role that physical therapy and physical activity can have in helping people manage chronic pain.
WCPT encourages member organisations and physical therapists around the world to use WCPT’s toolkit to convey these messages to the public and policy makers.
The campaign is focused around the following key messages about the benefits of using exercise to manage chronic pain to:
- maintain flexibility and movement
- improve cardiovascular health
- build and keep muscle tone
- improve mood and general wellbeing
- help control pain
- increase confidence to take part in activities
- take back control of your life and reduce your fear.
These messages are important not just to encourage health and activity in populations. They can help demonstrate how physical therapists keep people moving through interventions which maximise strength and mobility. Through advice and exercise programmes, physical therapists support people of all ages to achieve activity goals.
If you are an individual physical therapist or planning an activity with your colleagues at your workplace, remember to contact the WCPT member organisation in your country so that you link up with any activities they may be planning.
You can view a full list of WCPT member organisations: www.wcpt.org/members.
The materials produced promote the idea of a global physical therapy community. The day will be widely publicised on social media, using the #WorldPTDay hashtag.
WCPT would like to thank Lisa Carlesso, Jo Nijs, Peter O’Sullivan, and Felipe Reis for their assistance in the production of the toolkit materials.
WCPT has produced a toolkit of materials to support physical therapists and their organisations in their World Physical Therapy Day activities. It includes:
- A leaflet: to distribute directly to patients and the public
- A poster: to display in public places
- Two infographics: to display and distribute to patients and the public
- A postcard: to distribute directly to the public
- Translations: the posters, flyer and postcard will be available in French and Spanish
- Social media graphics: a selection of graphics will be produced for you to use on Twitter and Facebook to promote the day and this year’s message
- Campaign resources: additional information and resources for physical therapists about this year’s campaign
- A T-shirt design and logo: to download and print locally
- Stickers: to download and print on standard printer labels
- Banner artwork: to download and print locally